Missing a product icon? You can make it following these simple guidelines.
- All product icons should be unique. Search for keywords associated with the icon you are missing to ensure it is not already in the library.
- Reuse icons when appropriate, however, if the product icon might cause confusion between products consider creating a new, noticeably different product icon.
- All icons should be understandable---regardless of language or location.
Our icons are constructed using simple single-colour keylines. To reflect the rounded corners of the logo, product icons have rounded corners.
Each icon needs to be reduced to its minimal form---being bold, geometrical and symmetrical. To reflect the rounded corners of the logo, icons need to have rounded corners of 1px. To reflect the brand, icons use a consistent stroke of 1px---this includes curves, angles and both interior and exterior strokes.
The EDS icons are always facing forward and never rotated or dimensional. The icons are made for legibility and are not too literal or complex, neither are they overly playful or bubbly.
- Do not create product icons that are filled, always use outlines.
- Do not create product icons that contain multiple colors.
- Do not use multiple stroke weights.
- Do not apply square corners or square line ends.
- Do not create product icons with more than three objects.
- Do not create product icons with hands holding objects.
Optical corrections are not allowed in product icons.
Making a new icon
- Create an artboard that is 48x48px.
- Place the
Product icon gridfrom the Utilities page from Assets File as the bottom layer and lock the layer.
- Choose the grid shape: circle, square, vertical rectangle or horizontal rectangle.
- Make sure to align all artwork to the pixel grid.
- Place the
- Line tool vs shape
- Never use centre borders---centering can cause half pixels.
- If you're using borders or the line tool, be certain to outline (expand) the icon.
Submitting your new icon
- When your icon has been created, delete the
Product icon gridlayer that you had locked.
- Make sure your icon is not grouped or nested.
- Make sure all your layers are named logically.
- Make sure to name the icon what it is---avoid interpretative names that will make the icon hard to search and find.
- If you make a filled icon to supplement the outlined icon, both icons need to have this stated in their name. For example, add circle filled and add circle outlined.
- Pick a category for the icon to live under. Reference the library for current categories.
- ⚠️ More information to come about submitting process, in the mean-time, reach out to one of the Core EDS members on Slack.